Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Oh, MERDE: High Lane

I've been watching a lot of horror movies lately. More, I daresay, even than when I started this blog. It seems sensible to record some of my thoughts about them, especially since even now I realize I can't quite remember them all. And because Netflix has a lot of obscure and/or crappy horror movies on streaming... a lot of them. It might be nice for someone other than BC at Horror Movie a Day to comment on some of them (not that he's not awesome, but a second opinion never hurts).

So: High Lane. I picked this one out on the strength of the poster. Really. The poster reminded me a little of Yellowbrickroad, which was one of my best blind selections from the Netflix streaming collection, and I hoped for something similarly unexpected. 

Alas. 

It's French -- the Netflix version is dubbed, and I have to say, dubbed pretty well. The first time I started it and realized it was dubbed, I switched to something else, because I thought that would annoy the crap out of me. But in this case, I have to say I found the voice acting quite good. 

Unfortunately I can't say the same for the rest of the flick. The script is just crap, with one-note characters and an incredibly tired story. 

The one reason to watch the flick is to watch some European aerial course climbing. There's an aerial course near Harper's Ferry, WV that I go to, and it's awesome, but you don't see a lot of these hardcore aerial courses in the U.S. So that's pretty nifty. And the cinematography is nice when the camera is pointed at the mountains. I did want to visit Croatia after watching this movie, which is a thing I rarely say. 

Otherwise -- just watch Wrong Turn. Or Texas Chainsaw. Or Deliverance. Or... pretty much anything else, really. 

No comments:

Post a Comment